Sunday, July 10, 2011

what are fair sources for stories?



I revised “this is your life” this morning without noting that there because the reality expressed yesterday was right. But there was a flippancy in yesterday’s beginning and sentimentalism near the end that I should have avoided. I wrote it yesterday suddenly, while reading a review of the fictionist Ann Beattie, who’d been a college dorm mate of Bonnie, my “sister” who’d been in love with Ann (not lesbian) and who (by my urging) seduced and won Katherine, 1974 (before Ann became a New Yorker darling). We were supposed to become a ménage. Thirty-seven years later, Katherine and Bonnie are still together: in a little ol’ house on a little ol’ cul-de-sac in Lexington. Their neighborhood has its own Yahoo! Group for block parties, gardening tips, and whatnot.